To buy or not to buy that is the ?

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: To buy or not to buy that is the ?
From: CMottram@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 10:11:32 -0500
I went to check out a series V for sale in the sticks outside of Atlanta
(B395003294).  I was armed with the Alpine buyers guide off the web site
(thank you _Very_ much).  My exposure to Sunbeams has been mostly from this
list. (Cyberbeam?) So I wouldn't notice if something wasn't quite right. The
owner didn't know much about Sunbeams or the history of the car.  So I need
some help here.  My observations and questions are as follows:
Asking price $3195
Looks like a well maintained 30yr old car, no visible rust on body or in
wheel arches, quarter panels, doors, trunck lid, etc.
Under the Chasis # was #58,(midnight blue?), which I assume is the color
code.   The car is now red and paint is in good condition.  Interior is good,
no ripped seats and carpet is OK.  I liked the car.
Oil Pressure came right up and was arond 40 psi
Now my concerns:
Under the right side of the passenger compartment a small 4x10 metal floor
patch riveted in.
Both Outer sills looked good (no visible rust or bubbling) but the pass.
 inner sill? (The horizontal surface that butts up to the outer sill, or is
that just the floor?) was rusted/crunched if I pushed hard.
Powdery surface rust under aclerator pedal
Rusty battery box (surprise)
In general not a rusty car by what I have read on the list here.
Brakes didn't really work well (hard to stop, fluid was low, calipers stick)
Wipers didn't work
Tach didn't work
Panel lights didn't work.
Heater didn't work.  (Where should the blower/vents be, I didn't see any?)
One of the strombergs was sticky and had black gunk on the walls of the
piston.  Car started right up but ran very poorly until it warmed up, them is
just ran fair (no power)  Owner has not done anything in 5 years except drive
it 50 miles/year.
Needs a new top (hardware all there)
Back bumper is black, front bumper is in fair shape, no rust.
No OD
Starter stuck but freed up easily when we rocked the car
Driver side window stopped half the way up.

Gee, after I listed all the bad points it seems like more than when I was
looking at the car :-(  .My impression overall in comparison to all of your
cybercars and those on the british cars list is that this car is in better
than average shape for an unrestored car. HELP!  Is $3195 a good price
considering it will need at least a carb rebuild and a brake redo? (Not to
mention all the other stuff I listed)

Thanks for any input, sorry about the length,

Chris Mottram