Re: To buy or not to buy that is the ?

To: CMottram@aol.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: To buy or not to buy that is the ?
From: DSand95510@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 17:52:55 -0500
In a message dated 96-11-17 10:12:35 EST, CMottram@aol.com wrote, below the
reply:

If the drivetrain is STRONG, my personal top dollar would be about
$1700-2000.  He's asking too much for a car that can't be made to run
decently and be tested, mostly because of the carbs, I suspect.

>From the lack of rust elsewhere besides the repaired floor and the underside
exposed sill, it sounds like the wheelwell caulking 'held' and kept the
moisture from inside of the outer skin.  I'd take a magnet to it though and
see if some rust was covered up when it was painted.  The powder rust under
the accelerator probably isn't a concern, but you gotta have a battery box.
 Did you check the trunk FLOOR and spare tire cavity carefully?

You mention the oil comes up to 40 psi upon startup.  Is that at idle, when
cold?   40 psi is a minimum for a hot engine, at speed.  At idle, when first
started, it should read about 60psi.

Did you 'jerk' the car with the throttle at speed to see if it wants to pop
of gear (usually third)?

A compression test is always recommended, especially if the car seems to have
no power.

If the caliper pistons are badly rusted, you could be looking at finding new
calipers.  Did it have a brake booster?  If leaking internally (evidenced by
white exhaust smoke), kits cost around $75, but you may want someone else to
do it right.

The obviously neglected Strombergs are pretty easy to rebuild yourself and
the kits relatively inexpensive.

How's the front suspension look?  Tons of grime covering ancient ball joints?
 A-arm bushings oil soaked and/or extruding?   Soft cross-tube bushings?

If you're not concerned with cosmetics, you might get away with not having to
put too much extra cash into it immediately, beyond a softtop, battery box,
and misc. brake work, but there's a lot of 'ifs' and definately lots of your
time will be spent tracking down the electrical bugaboos. (sounds like mostly
bad grounds and switches)

And, if original, it has 4.22 gears (early Series V).  Good for acceleration,
but tough on the freeway unless you have high profile tires.

Dick Sanders