$ >>>>>>>>>>>>>!!! Mk 11

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: $ >>>>>>>>>>>>>!!! Mk 11
From: Rick Fedorchak <richard.fedorchak@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:06:37 -0500 (EST)
Re:

>>Jumpin je-hosiphats. 1200 simoleans for a grill! I gotta lay this one on the
>>corvair bunch. Ah, ya gotta be real devoted to that vehicle. A grand would
>>put you in adaily driver corvair early model.

$1200. bucks......yeah, sad but true.  It's this kind of stuff that , IMHO,
begins to taint the old car hobby.

While I ( somewhat )  understand  the adage" charge what the market will
bear", I don't see any positive contribution to our hobby by this type
behavior.    $1200. grilles ??  $1000. wheel opening trim sets ??  $600.
air cleaners ??   $150. radiator expansion tanks ??  Gimme a break.    Is
it just me  ( that feels this way ) or do we have some folks dangling out
ridiculous prices "fishing" to get rich on this stuff ?

Furthermore, like it or not, the originality freaks just excaberate the
problem.  You certainly would never see these high $$$$$$  price tags on
parts if people didn't hype up the  value of originality.  It''s even
spawned it's own form
of snobbery within the hobby. ( Don't try and tell me it ain't true ,
'cause I know better.... )

My $0.02 says that there's much more enjoyment in hanging out and dealing
with folks who just enjoy the cars, practice a spirit of cooperation, and
just wanna have fun.    You can have the profitmongers and snobs........

BTW Dana, you're right, you could get a daily driver Corvair for around
$1200.  And it would be money much better spent.  Unfortunately, even the
Corvair enthusiasts are subject to some of the above mentioned nonsense.
( Priced a set of NOS wheel opening trim for a late model ( '66-69 ) lately
??    It's scary. )

 Well, I'm sure I opened up the proverbial can of worms on this one,
so.........LET THE FLAMES BEGIN !!!!!!

>>I have about decided to quit work after this coming season. Dont have time
>>to do any of my retirement hobbies.

You are one lucky person.........

            Rick Fedorchak