Re[2]: Steering.

To: "Spontelli, Ramon" <rs11@ElSegundoCA.NCR.COM>, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re[2]: Steering.
From: nicholsj@oakwood.org
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 97 08:04:36 EST

     How about a trade for a MkII grille?

     Jeff

Subject: RE: Steering.
Author:  "Spontelli, Ramon" <rs11@ElSegundoCA.NCR.COM> at INTERNET
Date:    2/5/97 12:07 PM

>I saw a message a few weeks back suggesting there was a fix for
>the Ackerman angle steering problem.  It mentioned new linkages?
>Is this true, does something exist?
>
>I didn't see any reply.  I also assumed this is some mythical fix,
>otherwise nearly everyone would have corrected the problem.

No.  It's not mythical.

I bought one of the Lou Anderson Ackerman-angle kits from C.A.T.,
took one look at the thing, and the drawings, and the instructions,
and was too chicken to put it on the car.

Over the years I've heard that:

1.  They work.

2.  They INTENSIFY any problem you might have elsewhere in your front-end.

3.  They don't last long.

The man at the shop that's done all my front-end work for the past
twenty-five years or so knows Lou, knows Tigers, and knows the kit.  He says
the "problem" with the kit was the quality of the supplied Heim joints, and
for just <a SUBSTANTIAL amount more than I paid for the whole kit
originally>, he could replace all  the Hiem joints with "good" ones.

The thing is still out back in one of the sheds.  And NO, it's not available
for free.  I might, however, be coaxed into  considering  a "reasonable"
offer over, say,  twelve hundred dollars.   ; - )

Ramon
rs11@ElSegundoCA.ncr.com