RE: FCC vs Networking charges

To: Tigers-owner <tigers-owner@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: FCC vs Networking charges
From: Bill Cartus <Bill.Cartus@bridge.bst.bls.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:15:55 -0600
To Bonnie & Tiger Club Owners:

I hate to respond to non-Tiger mail,,,, BUT, As usual, there will be 2
sides to an issue and charging for phone line usage should come as no
surprise. I work for BellSouth, but have not heard that we were in on
this. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if we were. BellSouth is
fortunate (so far) that the outages experienced by some other local Bell
Companies have been limited. The drain on the system has been much more
than anyone ever dreamed. The cost for providing phone service (ie:
switches & lines) is based on an assumption that only a certain percentage
would be on the phone at the same time.

No lectures, but SOMEONE will need to pay for additional lines & switching
equipment. Add to that mixture the Long Distance boys being able to put
their machines in our buildings so THEY can provide local service too, in
the name of competition... which we like, because we are ready to get into
THEIR business!

All that being said in support of "something", I would NOT want to see a
"per minute charge" either... but it needs to be addressed. So WHO SHOULD
PAY FOR MORE EQUIPMENT TO HANDLE THE VOLUME?

Bill Cartus
1965 Tiger