Re: Fuel Or Exhaust Smells

To: Tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fuel Or Exhaust Smells
From: rootes@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 00:25:05 -0800
It could be the gasket on the sending unit, the crossover hose may be
old and permeated with fuel, the hose that fits on the filler cap may
not be clamped tight enough (it's a tight fit there), the hoses behind
your rear bumper may be seeping, etc. If you overfill your tanks, you
can get it worse, as you described, if that crossover hose is old
because fuel could back up into it as it sloshes around. That hose is
essentially in your passenger compartment.

I've had this problem through the years with various Alpines and my
Tiger. I do remember that when I bought new Sunbeams, I never had the
problem, at least for a number of years.

I have not always been able to solve it. On one car, the smell was VERY
bad, to the point of being unbearable. Luggage and clothes in the trunk
for any time smelled like the Shell Oil refinery. I replaced ALL hoses,
fuel lines, etc., to no avail. Finally, I pulled the fuel tanks out,
cleaned the trunk several times and re-painted the trunk, including
under where the fuel tanks go. This finally did it. Smell was gone. The
tanks must have leaked at one time and once fuel permeates the paint and
other materials, the smell is there for good until EVERYTHING is
replaced.

Of course, you've got to figure out if you're smelling gas fumes or
exhaust to pinpoint the source.

Remember, any smells in the trunk are sucked into the passenger
compartment, including exhaust fumes if the trunk isn't totally sealed.

Good luck

Steve Sage