Re: PCV Circuit Cleaning

To: BSTIG1@aol.com
Subject: Re: PCV Circuit Cleaning
From: Rick Hoefle <NamasteRH@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 1997 16:10:39 -0500
BSTIG1@aol.com wrote:

> Rick,
> If I were you, and obviously I'm not, I would try cleaning it with your
> "garden variety" carb cleaner.  As for the parts supplement that I think
> you're refering to, publication No.6601131, concering Rootes part #1229842 on
> Plate ref. D111, don't take this as gospel. After all, the cover page
> notes,"Commencing Chassis Number B9470001" and if you go section GF, the
> transmission noted is a Toploader.  Well I'm here to tell you,  my Tiger came
> with a T-10 and it's chassis # is B9470047. I don't know where these Ford and
> Rootes engineers got their degrees in "Rocket Scientry", but the workshop
> manual and parts publication certainly are not " the bible" when it comes to
> Tigers. Exerience usually is.  As for the oil filler cap on my car,  it's
> connected by a hose to the air cleaner.  Brett

Well, as Dustin Hoffman said in "Little Big Man", "sometimes the world
is just too strange to even bother living in" (or something like that).

Anyway, the workshop manual says "The breather cap located on the
rocker arm cover should be cleaned with a solvent at the proper
mileage interval.  DO NOT OIL THE MESH AFTER CLEANING.  At the
recommended interval, remove the crankcase ventilation regulator
valve, vent hose and hose conections. Clean the valve in clean
carburettor solvent and dry it with compressed air.  Clean the rubber
hose with a low-volatile petroleum base solvent and dry it with
compressed air.  Clean the orifice in the carburettor spacer or intake
manifold fitting."

Hence my question, orginally.  What solvents do others use for these
purposes?  Obviously, carburettor cleaner means what it says, but what
of the rest?  I didn't mean this to be so significant, but it seems to
be revealing a bit of trivia about our cars that I have not yet seen
discussed here.

So, how are others' cars set up for this?
--

Rick Hoefle 1964 Tiger B9470508 - HIS
            1969 MGC            - HERS