Update on SB42

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Update on SB42
From: "Robert L. Norton" <rlnorton@alumni.caltech.edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 14:15:01 -0800 (PST)
California residents only:

Here's an update for those who have been following the progress
of SB 42.  This Bill, introduced by Senator Kopp of San Francisco,
will exempt all vehicles 25 or more years old from the current
requirement of having biennial smog inspection.

The bill was unanimously passed by the Transportation subcommittee
on January 22, and referred to the Appropriations committee.
The date for hearing before the Appropriations committee has now
been set, and the bill is scheduled to be heard on March 17.

It is essential that we continue to let our Senators know that
we are vitally interested in having this bill passed.  Following
is a list of members of the Appropriations committee and the
area they represent.  At least send a letter to the Chair, and
if you are represented by one of these people, send a letter to
them as well.
Senator            Area
Patrick Johnston   Stockton      Chair
Tim Leslie         Tahoe City    Vice-Chair
Dede Alpert        San Diego
John Burton        San Francisco
Charles Calderon   Whittier
Ralph Dills        Gardena
Ross Johnson       Irvine
Betty Karnette     Long Beach
David Kelley       Idyllwild
Barbara Lee        Oakland
Bruce McPherson    Santa Clara
Richard Mountjoy   Arcadia       (now co-author of SB42)
John Vasconcellos  San Jose

The address of the Chair is:
   Senator Patrick Johnston
   State Capitol Room 5066
   Sacramento, CA  95814

This is time to act, guys!  Write now to help get this bill
passed!

Bob Norton