Motorsport SVO M-6880-A50, Fine

To: Darrell Mountjoy <d_mountjoy@mail.nmusd.k12.ca.us>,
Subject: Motorsport SVO M-6880-A50, Fine
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 14:53:04 +0100
It’s Done!

To my patient friends who have corresponded since October, I have
finally received my back-ordered Motorsport SVO right-angle oil filter
adapter. I did not want to write again until I had actually installed
it.

I apologize to the adressee’s for the double-sending to the list and
their own address, but I did think there might be others interested.

 Well, the deed is done. Here are the results:

1) The filter adapter fits the block and clears the motor-mount, the
frame, the oil pan, the brake line, the stock exhaust manifold, and
still allows the filter to be installed and removed.

2) The motor did not need to be lifted 4 inches. Enough clearance.

3) The filter is a Ford Motorcraft FL-1A full size filter. This is the
Ford original specification filter, and is very good.

4) The only “tricks” are removing the old “filter-on-block” adapter, if
you’ve put one on for the PH3512 mini-filter. Mine did not have a hex
around or in the thread adapter, so I “double-nutted” it with a large
nut and a threaded piece of an old filter. Some of these have external
hexes or internal allen wrench holes.

5) The new right angle adapter is fastened to the new block adapter by
an o-ring sealed machined piece. Do not screw the block adapter all the
way till it bottoms, or not enough will stick out for the machined
connector. If you don’t have a 7/16 allen wrench you can use a 1/4 inch
bolt with some double-nutted nuts as in internal hex wrench.

6) Aim the right angle filter to the rear. Dry fit the filter. I would
only use the FL-1A because it’s a good filter, and it is known to fit
both by diameter and length. It clears the motor mount in diameter and
the pan in length.

7) A picture of the adapter is on Norman’s site at
<http://www.best.com/~rootes1/tech1.htm>. Norman’s photo is also on Mark
Olson’s pages at
<http://cablepop.sc.intel.com/tiger/techtips/oilfilters/tech1.htm>

8) Last word. I bought mine at Home Mechanics Warehouse on Topanga,
Canoga Park  (818-883-2464).