Re[2]: Where does one draw the line? / Trouble with TAC...

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re[2]: Where does one draw the line? / Trouble with TAC...
From: Rick Fedorchak <richard.fedorchak@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 15:34:22 -0500 (EST)
NOTE:  I'm gonna be away from this address for the next three days.  I
would invite, and appreciate, anyone who is discussing this matter further
to pop me a copy at:  amyf@pop.erols.com.   Thanks, Rick.

Phil, re:
>          -Before the flames & the bad-vibes get too extreme on the TAC
issue,

Lest anyone misunderstand, I'm not really trying to flame anyone  so much
as I'm trying to encourage the
ENTIRE, repeat, ENTIRE Tiger community to agree on whether this
"authentication" of originality is really that important, and, if so,
decide ( yep, the ENTIRE Tiger community, not just STOA ) the definition of
originality.
        _____What possible argument could anyone have against that ?_______

>    . I consider  myself very fortunate to be in such close proximity to
so many helpful
>     and wholly-unselfish people.

Wholly unselfish and keeping information secret are at opposite ends of the
spectrum.....

>    Tom  Hall and Mike Andres spent 2-3 hours........  to give me the TAC
"Inspector's training" so I could
>     pass the exam.

Based on STOA's , not the entire Tiger community's ,  definition of
originality...........

>     Be patient. I'm sure efforts are being made to have a TAC-person in
>     your area.

Thanks but no thanks.  Until there's a consensus from the "whole"  it's
meaningless.

>     -Bottom line, TAC exists to make sure people don't get burned buying
>     an "Alger" or something else, if it's being represented as a true
>     TIGER.

That's fine.  However,  I still don't  understand  where STOA  gets off
declaring themselves the one true authority on Tigers.

> Also, hopefully a "TAC'd" car can bring a higher selling price
>     later on, when it comes up for sale.

Uh huh.  Refer to my #2 statement in " The trouble with TAC".  I rest my case.
Also, if these certificates really do affect the value of everyone's cars (
not just STOA member cars) then all the more reason to get consensus from all.

My bottom line cut on all this is that it's inherently unfair for one
maverick  segment to declare themselves the authority  in a situation that
involves people/cars  nation, and world, wide.    If _EVERYBODY_  agrees to
STOA's definitions     ( which ironically I've never seen clearly
defined....another problem ) , and if information is made available to
EVERYBODY, then I've no objection........until then, I think it sucks.

One more thing.  I think I know why the information is kept secret.  STOA's
own homepage alludes to "dishonesty" among people.   Somehow, we in the
Tiger community at large are suspect of potential dishonesty, yet it seems
we're to majgically believe that the STOA folks are to be exempted from
this suspicion.   Get Real.

Phil, while I obviously disagree with you, I really hope you don't regard
this as a flame.  I just want to see less secrecy, and more fairness.

                                                                Rick