Tech Information

To: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Subject: Tech Information
From: Larry Paulick <larryp@wam.umd.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 09:47:19 +0000
Hi Tom:  Interesting conversations on TAC's.  But I have a question
based on your comment, "In the late 70's several Clubs tried to form an
umbrella organization known as STAC.  I haven't even heard any one
mention this name in years."

I am doing a ground up resoration myself, on my Tiger.  This is the
second Tiger, the 1st purchased in 1969, was from Pittsburg and very
rusty, and I sold it to a kid, who used it for parts on the restoration
of his Tiger. I was too busy at work to do the work then.

Well, I am older, and want to do it right, without making too many
mistakes, and using too much money.

The POINT:

1.  Can we have a STAC?

2.  Can a member of TE/AE, CAT, STOA, etc buy books, parts, etc, from
another club, at a higher price, then that club's members?

3.  If a club has tech info in their newsletters, can another club
member access that info?

4.  If a club has tech info in their archives, can another club member
access that info?

I appreciate the work that is put into a project, believe that an author
or club should get credit, and am not looking for a free ride, but will
not belong to all of the Tiger clubs also.

I also belong to the Mercedes Benz Club of America, and there are two
web sites for members, and non-members to access tech info.  They have
an archive site that is amazing.  You can get info by author, date, car,
engine, issues, whatever you want.  They also have very responsive
people who will answer your questions.  I hot rodded my wife's diesel,
and boy what a difference. (1985 300D 199K miles)

If you want to check it out, go to <www.realtime.net/~drl/mercedes.htm>.
The Corvette group has a similar site for tech info.

I also attended a MBCA seminar on Concour Judging of Mercedes, given by
people who own national show cars, and are judges, at the national
level. They were very helpful, and most of the students, were there to
learn how to improve their our cars 1st, and be judges second. Sure,
some of these cars are more expensive than Tigers, but so what! The
owners love their car, because it is their car of choise, or maybe what
they can afford.

While there are 14,000+ MBCA members and more non-members on the web,
the tech info is very, very freely shared.  We Tiger owners are only
3,500 or so, and I believe that we should really stick together, and
help each other.

>From the TE/AE, Corvette, and MBCA members, I learned that the sharing
of tech info promotes the marque.  I learned that there always will be
personalities in any group, but with a focus in mind, ie enjoying the
car, and sharing the same with others, that everyone is enhanced.

So Tom, Tiger Tom, Norm, Stu, Raymond, And Other Great Owners, what do
you think?  If the Mercedes, Vette, and other car groups can do this,
why can't we?  You can answer if you wish.

Larry
TE/AE
MBCA
CAT