Thanks for the TACful RANT

To: Vonski@aol.com
Subject: Thanks for the TACful RANT
From: CMeinel464@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 20:04:30 -0500 (EST)
Tom,

  Just had the time to read your post in regard to the STOA, TAC program.  As
you know,  I've owned over 16 Tigers and Alpines over the past 30 years. I
have been President of a major Sunbeam club and been supplying Sunbeam parts
for about the last 20 years.
  Up until reading you post, I've been quite in this matter. People on both
sides of the fence just yelling past each other......
  The unappreciated job that people like Tom Hall and Norm Miller are doing
is essential to the Sunbeam Marque.  Whether you agree with the TAC and the
TIROST program or not......at least an effort is being made to maintain the
integrity of our beloved cars.
  Over the years, I've had the unenviable position to have to inform (luckily
only a handful) of new Tiger owners, that they had be stuck with a Alger.
 One of these unlucky owners paid over $18,000 for his so-called Tiger.  One
owner had puchased from a dealer and the rest of the new Alger owners
purchased privately.
  I am also aware of two Algers in the New York area that are currently
driven.  Both of the current owners are honest and even have left the Alpine
 tags on the cars.  But, I'm afraid that perhaps the next or next or next
owner of these cars won't be as honest.
  I trully feel that 99.5% of the Tiger owners are honest people, but that
.5% is what TAC and TIROST can try to eleminate.  I don't think anyone would
complain if they were saved $18,000 !!!!
  I know, I'll get some of you upset, but I  agree that the information
regarding what makes a Tiger a Tiger should not be made available to the
public.  If this information was made public, it would be very hard indeed to
to detect phonies.
  Although, I've been asked to repro Tiger I.D. tags by many people, the
expressions on those who have been taken remain in my mind.
  One last thought; it's interesting how many Tiger parts cars don't have
tags????

Keep up the good work, would love to see a national club.

Curt Meinel
Classic Sunbeam Inc.