Re: ill fated attempt at humor

To: Rob Hogan <rob_hogan@michweb.net>
Subject: Re: ill fated attempt at humor
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 09:38:32 +0000
Rob Hogan wrote:

> Allan Connell wrote:
> > As an aside, I joined a TVR thread to help a friend out with some tech
> > questions.
>
> On the subject of TVR's, particularly the Griffith (Vulcan?), an article
> in Classic & Sportscar, Sept. '86, lists the Griffith's performance as 0
> - 60 in 7.2 sec and a top speed 2 mph greater than the Tiger of
> comparison.  With less weight and slightly better acceleration, why has
> the Griffith been seldom seen in racing events where its attributes
> would be demonstrated?  I've been to many SCCA road races and Solo I and
> II events in the Midwest and have never seen a Griffith in competition,
> certainly not to the extent of even the few Tigers that have been
> raced.  The vehicles are sparse, but their exposure is probably much
> less than the number of cars in this country.  Does anyone know what the
> 289 C.I. powered TVR's strong and weak points are?  Some have described
> the car as a twitchy handful to handle and keep pointed in the direction
> of intent.
Rob: you've hit the nail on the head! Evil hanlding with that golf cart
length wheel base and the V8 power. I once read a review a a Griffith
that described the effort to steer it as "requires the assistance of a
boy and a small dog" to help turn the wheel in a sharp corner!
Also, I once sat in a race preped Griffith. I think Vaseline would have
helped get past the door post and roll bar! (Remember that one, Al J.?)
If your 5'1" tall, it's the car for you!