Long and short of it.

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Long and short of it.
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 20:57:29 -0400
At 03:27 am 4/11/97 +0000, you wrote:
>At 01:05 PM 4/10/97 +0000, you wrote:
>>
>>On  Wed, 9 Apr 1997 Dennis Adderton wrote
>>Subject: engine numbers
>>
>>"I have a 66 Mk1A that I recently bought. I'm trying to
>>figure out what engine it has in it <snip>
>>C4OE-6015-C  The C4OE says '64 Fairlane engine. Is this
>>engine supposed to be in a Tiger? Does the rest of the
>>number indicate whether it's a 260 or a 289?  Is it true
>>that, due to thin wall casting, a 260 cannot be bored to
>>a 289?"
>>
>>All Mk 1 & 1A Tigers had '64 Ford Fairlane engines.
>>Rootes bought a big batch of them and used them until
>>the MK2 came out with a 289.  If it truly is a '64 Fairlane
>>engine, then it's a 260.  While your engine number
>>does not mean anything to me, the 260, 289 and even
>>the 302 are essentially the same block, so boring out is
>>certainly possible.
>
>        This is wrong! The 260 cannot be boared enough to make it a 289.
>These three engines are basically the same but the walls were cast with just
>enough metal. Check any of the rebuild books. Also if you decide to swap
>engines, be aware that in the middle of the 289s the bellhousing bolt
>pattern was changed. The 260s and early 289s had 5 large bolts and the late
>289s and the 302s had 6 large bolts. The Tiger's transmission does not bolt
>up to the late bellhousing. You can get around this by using a blowshield or
>maybe by machining the late bellhousing.
>Doug Pruitt
>Frederick, Maryland
>
>Zort!

Zort;
        True, a regular Ford 260 should not be bored to 4", however; the
Tiger block with 3 freeze plugs in each side is actually a block that
can be bored to 4" or 289 size. ( or add a 302 crank and you have a 302).
As with any boreing job that you are unsure about, you can always have
the cylinder walls sonic tested to be sure.
If you plan to bore a block then you are not "truly original" any way.
Why not just get a 302 short block from PepBoys or some other
discount auto  place.  A long block 302 is only $700.  It is difficult to
build it yourself for that price. ( Of course if you do it yourself then
you know that you did it right ( or wrong) )
By the way; Ford changed the full pump excentric from a one piece
on early models ( don't know the year) to a two piece on the later
models and the 302.  Be sure you get the correct one to hold the
cam shaft in; which is needed even though Tigers use an electric pump.
The Tiger came with both 5 and 6 bolt transmission mounts,  only
the very early ones had 5 bolts.  There were also three different 4 speed
transmissions, the early Tigers with SN below B-9470057 used a Warner
T-10 with the following ratios: 2.20:1, 1.62:1,1.20:1, 1.00:1 R 2.20:1.
>From SN B-9470057 on up they used a Ford HEH-E or HEH-B.
HEH-E ratios: 2.32:1, 1.69:1, 1.29:1, 1.00:1 R 2.32:1.
HEH-B ratios: 2.78:1, 1.93:1, 1.36:1, 1:00:1 R 2.78:1.
The Ford HEH is the classic "Top Loader" that Ford Hot Rodders
talk about.  The 5 or 6 bolt problem applies to the bell housing, not
to the transmission.  My Tiger II came with the HEH-B and an aluminum
bell housing that fits with no modifications on a 289 and  Boss 302.  The bolt
 holes lined up on my 351C; but the larger diameter flywheel rubbed the
inside of the aluminum housing so I switched to a  steel bell housing off of
a Bronco.
There are  many variations of Tigers;  so what is observed on one may
not be true for all cases.
JIm Barrett Tiger II 351C and others.