Motorsports Oil Filter Adapter

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Motorsports Oil Filter Adapter
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 97 10:52:26 -0600
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     This weekend I installed my SVO Oil Filter Adapter (M-6880-A50), and I
     noticed a couple things.

     As I was tightening the adapter onto the block, it did not appear that
     I could find a position where a PH8A/FL1 sized filter could be
     attached to the adapter.  Maybe there is one, but with 20W50 dripping
     on my face (from the removal of the old stuff), patience does tend to
     wear thin.  I had a PH3600 (FL400) filter for my wife's Sable, so I
     used that instead.  This is about the same length as a PH8A and has
     the same pressure specs, but it has a smaller diameter.  Truth be
     told, I was planning to experiment with both of these filters to see
     which one fit better.

     Anyone planning one of these installations, or even a switch to a
     PH3512 short filter should note that the seal on our stock remote
     filter adapter is a smaller diameter than the seal on the SVO adapter,
     or a filter.  The outer portion of the diameter of the sealing surface
     on the block has been exposed to the elements for 30 years, and is
     pretty cruddy by now.  I tried steel wool, and fine sand paper, but I
     couldn't get it smooth enough, by my judgment, to have any hope of
     getting a good seal with my adapter's O ring.  I ended up rubbing a
     thin coat of RTV onto the block side, and seating the adapter and the
     O ring into that.  I had no leaks on the test run.

     Stu