Re: teeth

To: laifman@flash.net
Subject: Re: teeth
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 97 13:00:40 PDT
> Don't keep us in suspense! Are the teeth for the part numbers Larry
> (David) provided pitch compatible (left or right as the case may be)
> with the Tiger? How can you tell which direction the one in your hand at
> the dealer's is supposed to go? Does anyone have speedo or odometer
> change data for the number of teeth used with the stock driver gear? Is

> David's experience:
>
> " >I installed a 16T gear. It made my speedometer reading much more
>   >reliable. It used to read 80 mph at 70 mph actual, now it is only
>   >a couple of mph high."
>
> applicable to the Tiger? Mine is just about exactly 10 mph high at 70,
> and my Mother-In-Law keeps yelling at me to slow down. I'm indicating 80
> and getting past by the rest of traffic.
>
> Steve

I can't speak for Tiger usage, but my recollection is that most
Ford speedo gears have left pitch.  The one in my T-10 does.
What I was told was that the pitch reference was from the cable end
of the gear.  If the teeth angle to the right then it's a right pitch
gear, etc.

I believe the gear in my speedo has 16 teeth.  It reads about 5 mhp
at 70, but I suspect that's has more to do with the low profile tires
on my car rather than the wrong gear.

BTW, I bought my gear from a local vintage Mustang shop.  You can
order than from Ford, but a lot of the Mustang places have them in
stock.  Also I didn't need a Ford part number, only the number of
teeth and the pitch direction.  They're cheap enough so you can
buy one each if your not sure.  This place I bought mine offered to
let me exchange it for if it wasn't the right one- as long as it wasn't
damaged.

Roland