Re: teeth

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: teeth
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 01:28:16 -0700 (PDT)
At 05:26 PM 4/21/97 +0100, you wrote:
>O.K., Roland, Larry, or David Wedeking,
>
>Don't keep us in suspense! Are the teeth for the part numbers Larry
>(David) provided pitch compatible (left or right as the case may be)
>with the Tiger? How can you tell which direction the one in your hand at
>the dealer's is supposed to go? Does anyone have speedo or odometer
>change data for the number of teeth used with the stock driver gear?

>Steve
>--
>Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
>B9472289              < important in your life    >
>                      < and don't let it get away!>

        I think you will find that the left and right hand versions of the
tooth direction is related to the side of the transmission that the speedo
gear enters from.  The Tiger trans speedo cable enters from the left side
and has a clock wise tooth spirial (from the cable viewpoint).  This is the
most common Ford design, but I have seen others that enter from the right
side of the tailhousing.  Assuming that they both engage below the output
shaft, the right side would require a counter clockwise spirial to turn the
speedo in the same direction.