Re: Mazda powered alpine???

To: "T, L & T Harrington" <foxfire@mail.sover.net>
Subject: Re: Mazda powered alpine???
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 01:28:18 -0700 (PDT)
At 09:18 PM 4/22/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I would like to have some input on the Mazda rx7 powered alpine's that have
>been done.
>I have a chance to buy a 1982 mazda rx7 with 92,000 miles on drivetrain.
>Price for this car as asking = 300.00
>

>My question's are the following :
>
>What are the strong and weak points of the rx7 drivetrain and such ??

        Install a "good" clutch initally and you won't have go back as often.

>this car has the 5-speed with hydraulic clutch , did they hold up well ??

        Mine is from an earlier RX-4 and has been on the road since Suni I,
the RX-7 is a improvemet.

>did you use the same alpine rearend ??

        For the first year.  After spinning 3 axle hubs, I installed a
Tiger Dana 44Posi with 4.11 gears.  It's perfect.

>How about parts cost for the rx7 motor ?? and can you tell me how much
horsepower they produce ??

         My 13B engine and  tranny cost about $650 in 1989, from an import
dealer selling used Jap parts.
        With a Dellorto sidedraft and header,  we measured 135 hp at the
rear wheels @ about 5,000 RPM.  At              that point it leaned out
too much and we haven't had it back on the dyno since the installation of
the vacuum            modulated fuel pressure regulator.

>what is the weight of the motor compared to the alpine motor ??
>
>what problems did you have doing this swap ??

        Controlling the horrendous noise of the rotory with header.  3
mufflers and it's still very loud.  Stealth it's not!

>any suggestions ????????????????????

        Use a late breakerless Mazda ignition or MSD for the Leading plug
        A 12A motor fits easier, but the 13B has more displacement.
        Gas milage will be in the mid teens at best.  Very flexable with
good torque and lots of RPM to work with.

>also, any performance parts for the rotory engine ??

        Talk to Racing Beat in Aneheim, CA, but don't tell them its a
conversion or they will ignore you.

        If you want more info, talk to Rob Guerra, bomber44@kaiserair.com,
It's his baby now.