Re: Noisy shifter & Other Sound Bites

To: Tiger List <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Noisy shifter & Other Sound Bites
From: "Don Daves (MS-Mail)" <DonDaves@scvwd.dst.ca.us>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 09:06:00 -0700
If all you want is someone to say it's normal, ok, here ya' go:

It's perfectly normal.

Unfortunately, the normal part of this is that it's normal for bearings
to eventually wear out and begin whining.  The question is;  does the
whine follow engine speed, changing pitch as you shift  through each
gear and pretty much disappear in 4th? (transmission input shaft
bearing, or some other defective part ahead of the tailshaft) - or does
the whine follow vehicle speed, getting higher-pitched as speed
increases, doesn't change pitch as you go through the gears,  and mostly
heard on acceleration, (most noticeable in top gear) disappearing or
less noticeable as you let off the gas?  (rear axle - worn ring and
pinion/excessive backlash, maybe a bad bearing).  I've heard rear axles
whine like that for years.  Finally, the noise gets so bad, you can
hardly stand it.    If it turns out to be a bad trans input bearing, it
should be changed before it causes  wear on the input gear and
countershaft gear - not cheap parts.  I'm sure there are others with
more knowledge on this topic who have better advice.  Just my opinion.

Don Daves
Rio Del Mar, CA
65 Sunbeam Tiger (his)
64 1/2 Mustang conv. (hers)

>Now, if I could figure out where that bearing whine was coming from when
>I accelerate....could be from the rearend---pinion,maybe--or is it from
>the transmission? Any ideas on how to test without tearing it down??
>Al J. (B9472024)

Alvin, I get the same whine from my early tiger, lets hope someone says
it's normal.  Regards Armand R.
              B9470219

ritchie@mcn.org
Armand & Lorie Ritchie