Re: Dana colours

To: "BMcgu22954@aol.com" <BMcgu22954@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Dana colours
From: "Kempinski, Robert M." <RKEMPINS@SSF4.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 08:41:00 -0500
------
REPLY FROM: Kempinski, Robert M.

Bruce said in reponse to Frank's original question.

>The cast iron center section should be painted reddish orange.
>One of the best color matches is Red Insulating Enamel, (electrical
>insulation coating)
>used on armatures.
Yep, paint the diffy housing inside and out with  red glyptyl .
Available from Eastwood Restoration catalogue.
The stamped metal cover should be black as the other suspension parts.
I think Norm's book covers this.

>I've read the purpose behind this is to enhance oil flow.
Some hot rodders even recomend painting the non-machined surfaces of an
engine block with this stuff to promote oil return to the pump.  I
didn't
think it  would be  good idea on the rough casting surfaces,  but I did
coat
the inside of the oil pan with it.

>While we are on the subject, Ford didn't paint their 4-speed transmissions
>as they came from the factory. Something to do with holding in heat.
>(probably cost)
>When I was doing a toploader some 12 years ago Dave gave me that lecture
>too.

Come on Bruce - get outa here.  So how do the transmissions end up blue?

With nice looking factory stencils?

Rob Kempinski
Houston Texas