Re: Clutch Replacement - Techniques

To: jhankins@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Clutch Replacement - Techniques
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 22:09:09 -0700 (PDT)
At 08:20 PM 5/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I've got to replace my clutch, and I have a couple of questions.:
>
>Can the clutch be removed without removing the engine? If so, is the
procedure documented
>somewhere?
>
>What should I use for a replacement?
>
>Joe

        Yes It can be done by removing the trans linkage and a lot of heavy
manipulation.  The trick is to remove the trans and bellhousing at the same
time, from opposite directions.  It's rarely done cause typically it's
easier to drop the front X-member and lower the engine & trans as an
assembly.  It may sound scarry, but after you've done it you'll know why
that's the way most of us go about it.  The clutch requires a relief within
0.300 to 0.350 inches at the forks.  Its wise to test this before
installation.  Any reputable clutch rebuild shop should be able to do this
test.  Frequently it is the disc that is the problem.  To little expansion
(below 0.300") and chatter is a problem.  Too much (over 0.350") and you
are forever trying to move the firewall with your left foot.  I have grown
to like the new Centerforce clutch.  It's pricey but works very well.  Just
be sure to test the finger relief travel required to loosen the disc.  Good
luck.

Tom Hall