The Inside Story (#7)

To: Tiger list <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: The Inside Story (#7)
From: Larry Wright <Larry.Wright@mail.wdn.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 12:05:39 -0700
Boy, is this job going slow! Going on vacation, and losing a few weekends,
didn't
help.

The underdash area is ready to receive the dash. all is painted, and the
brackets for the steering
column, wiper motor, blower motor, etc., are bright red and held in with
stainless steel bolts. My,
ain't that pretty down there? :)

The dash is also about ready to go in, all of the guages/switches are done and
the new glove box is
installed. It was tough getting up the nerve to drill the little holes in the
back of the dash for
the short screws to hold the box on; I could not find stop-collars locally for
the 3/32" bit I had
to use, so I used the masking tape method. I can report I did _not_
accidentally drill through the
face of the dash. One thing I need, I have a few feelers out but am not
optimistic, is a heater
valve control cable. Anyone know what kind of wire I can fabricate one from?

I wanted to glue in the kick panels but they don't seem to lay _quite_ flat
enough for that. I
noticed screw holes in the metal of the car in that area; should the kick
panels be secured by
screws, and, if so, be screws alone? And any ideas on how to locate where the
holes in the kick
panels go?

This morning I had quite a shock. I wanted to put the leather on the console
today. First, I found
that the leather in the kit is not cut to final shape, it took an hour to draw
out all of the little
tabs and cut. No biggie. Then, I applied glue to it then to the console. The
paint immediately
started to lift from the console!!!! Yup, there was a warning on the can,
alright. I think I'll
overspray the console and seatframes with the same brand of paint I used on the
under-dash bar, if I
can remember what that is...

Pretty sure the Garage Queen won't be at British Car Day in Bowie, Maryland
this year.  :(