RE: radiators and water chemistry

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net, "'Tom Ballou'" <TBallou@lanmail.rmc.com>
Subject: RE: radiators and water chemistry
From: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 02:47:38 -0700
        I don't necessarily agree with this.  Many engines since the mid
fifties have had aluminum Heads on Iron blocks with steel piping and
water pump shafts, along with copper heater cores and Radiators.
Without the need for Zinc electrolysis blocks.  Our favorite Alpine is
an example, along with just about every other car I have ever had.  The
potential IS there for the problems you mention, but the basic
water/glycol mix is a corrosion inhibitor, and even pure fresh water
(soft) is resistant to by-metal electrolytic corrosion.  This is partly
due to waters neutral nature.  Saltwater on the other hand is a failure
decent conductor, and would eat through the above mentioned engine
within a few months.  Any contaminants in the water glycol environment
will begin to degrade this inhibiting factor, which is why flushing the
cooling system every year is important, although I never did it.

        Simply put, you are not going to be able to have all materials
touched by water being made out of the same metal.  You'll still
probably have some screws or bolts, and certainly the water pump shaft
made out of steel, so Dis-similar metals will always be present.  If you
have ANY aluminum components, including timing cover, water pump
housing, Intake, heater core or radiator, heads or block, then you MUST
run a mix of pure water (bottled if you are in a hard water area), and
Glycol (anti-freeze) to reduce the electrolytic corrosion problem that
can happen as contaminants begin to enter the cooling system.  Other
wise, corrosion will begin in areas of turbulence on aluminum.  The
timing cover right behind the impeller is a typical spot for this to
happen.

Rich