Electrolytic corrosion war stories

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net (Return requested) (Receipt notification requested)
Subject: Electrolytic corrosion war stories
From: "Jorquera, Mario" <Mario.Jorquera@fhwa.dot.gov>
Date: 29 May 1997 08:10:52 -0400
As a veteran of a couple of electrolytic corrosion
battles, I've followed the list's discussion on this subject
and agree that the distilled water/antifreeze mix is
imperative.  Back in the early '70s, I owned a SV Alpine
on which I performed a valve job.  When I removed the
head, I noted an alarming level of corrosion on the
aluminum at the point where  a little copper fitting
protruded out of the head into the water passage (I
don't remember the purpose of this fitting).  The car
only had some 60,000 miles, but I had used a mixture of
tap water and  antifreeze.  I sold the car shortly
thereafter (hope nobody on this list bought it ;^)  In the
late '70s, I bought a new 1st gen Accord.  At about
45,000 mi, it suddenly started spewing out prodigious
amounts of steam out the tailpipe, and seized shortly
thereafter.  Diagnosis?  A pinhole leak developed
between a valve seat and the head, allowing coolant to
seep into one cylinder.  The resulting water lubrication
system was not very effective.  I had the engine
overhauled for some $1,500, and, 10,000 miles later, it
did it again!!!  This time Honda took pity on me and
paid for the repairs, but I sold that one ASAP too!  I've
used the proper coolant cocktail siunce then, with now
further problems (knock on laminated wood dash!)

Moral of the story...distilled water/ethylene
glycol...shaken, not stirred!

Mario
'65 Mk 1
B9471239