Re: Driver size

To: cutter1@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Driver size
From: Larry Allbritton <larryall@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 17:06:50 -0700
cutter1@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Hello,
> Since I was a boy I have admired the Tiger.  Finally I have the means to
> purchase one. My only concern is: Will I be able to fit in the car
> comfortablely?  I am 6'4" tall.  I have driven Cobras and other British sports
> cars and have been fairly uncomfortable.  It's been ten years since I sat in a
> Tiger and I can't remember how spacious they are.  I wanted to clear this
> issue up before I embark on a search for a new car.  Any opinions or advice
> would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Jon

Hello Jon,
I am 6'2" and my Tiger has an aftermarket steering wheel (LeCarra) which
is about 1" smaller in diameter than stock.  The seat is pushed all the
way back.  I have long legs and so for me to get into the car I first
slip my right foot under the clutch pedal and then my left foot same
thing.  That way my feet are firmly planted on the floorboard which
allows me to push myself into the seat bucket.  Once I've done this I
am ready to drive.  There is actually alot of leg room in these LBC's.
My one complaint thought (actually two) is the accelerator pedal is so
close to the tranny hump that I find that I have to twist my right leg
towards the right in an awkward manner.  A long drive can be a bit of
a pain driving like this but usually I squirm my whole body so I am
turned a little to the right.  The other complaint is the clutch and
brake pedals are REAL close to each other.  I actually brake the car
but using the side of my foot.

As far as heighth goes no problem when the top is down.  If I have the
top up and hit some bumps my head will contact the top even with my
seat belt tightly on.

If you are in the Bay Area you might be able to  hook up with someone
from STOA club that will let you sit in their car and see for yorself.
Overall the pleasure that I derive from the Tiger far outweighs the
shortfalls.

Larry Allbritton
B9472723