RE: Radiator

To: fisher@tomahawk.DST.BATTELLE.ORG, gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu,
Subject: RE: Radiator
From: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 13:14:18 -0700
        Actually, the internal running temprature of the engine is
desinged to same stay the same regardless of season or conditions.  The
different thermostats are used to regulate this desired internal temp,
(as we all know).  However, Designers know that the external ambient
temprature of the air AND the coolant in the radiator is going to be
much lower in the winter, and that a big gush of cold liquid will drop
the internal temp a lot more than the same amount of liquid in the
summer.  This is why two seperate thermostats are reccomended, and with
the Tiger's overheating problem, these should be required seasonal
changes.  Especialy the installation of the 160 for summer.  The actual
internal temp should be around 185-190.  In the Winter it will fall too
far below it, and in summer it may not drop enough if they only used one
middle of the road thermostat.  This is more critical with the Tiger
than it is with most cars.

Rich