RE: HOW SHOULD A CONCOURS BE RUN?

To: "'rootes@ix.netcom.com'" <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: RE: HOW SHOULD A CONCOURS BE RUN?
From: "JAN SVEN-ERIK HARDE, LUTCF" <harde@cyberesc.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 17:05:54 -0600

----------
From:  rootes@ix.netcom.com[SMTP:rootes@ix.netcom.com]
Sent:  Sunday, July 13, 1997 1:36 AM
To:  tigers@autox.team.net
Subject:  HOW SHOULD A CONCOURS BE RUN?

Dear Jane,

It was great seeing you both, or should I say all 3 of you in Eureka.
I Think your approach for next year is great, and to many people seem to =
have had their feathers ruffled by the discussions over the Concourse.
I do believe that they should have appreciated it as constructive =
critique over what can and should be done in the future.
Fact is that so many are spending so much time and effort, towards =
accuracy as well as originality more than ever, I for one can tell you =
that.
I receive at least 30 E-Mail's per week asking for advise, as well as =
parts to bring their cars up to competition standards.
The Concourse has and should be treated as a true event, not just a show =
and shine, true the whole event is all about PEOPLE and relationships, =
and yes I enjoy that the most of all..
Jane and Steve, I think we have plenty of individuals who will gladly =
give you input, a true and correct as well  as fair judging form can =
then be developed from that, I still think that Norms idea and form was =
the best ever.
We also have to develop classes, such as Masters, for cars that have =
trophied 3 or more times as first place in their class, also a Special =
interest class.
The field of stock cars is getting quite large, and needs to be split, =
either MK1, and MK1A in one class, and MK2 in another..
This is to make judging more equitable for all..
Trophies are not that expensive, and as I feel the more the merrier, =
let's reward entrants for their hard work.
Another idea is to have a class for best unrestored Tiger, maybe a drive =
and show and a tow and show catagory??
Oh well the possibilities are endless I guess.
Obviously we do not want to skew the Lord Rootes so that the Modified =
cars do not have a chance, but we can iron that out..

The job ahead of you is a hard one, I have done it several times, and I =
think it is due time for some refinement of our outlook, especially =
towards a great Concourse for Big Bear..
Please do not hesitate to ask me for input, I will do my best to assist =
you with ideas, and I am happy we are looking at this now, and not a few =
weeks prior to the event..

Eureka was super, and it will be hard to TOP, but after all, we are just =
a bunch of Tiger crazy people who just want to have fun TOGETHER and =
show off our workmanship, in restoration, and in the autocross as well =
to show our skills.
I am also sure that the Big Bear Rallye will be outstanding, thinking of =
all the views that the area has to offer.

Best of luck, and I am packing my bags for the event already (almost)..

Take Care, have super summer, and see Ya' all later...

Jan.................................
Hello everyone in Sunbeam land!

Steve and I have already addressed on a previous e-mail, how much we
enjoyed Tigers United XXII at Eureka, so now, let's try to turn the
negative vibes into a constructive dialogue.

The question is "How Do We Put On A Concours, Judge The Cars Fairly,
Make It Fun, And Do It All In A Resonable Amount Of Time?"

Not so easy, is it? Especially when you take into consideration that
there is a time limitation, a limited amount of people who want to judge
and have enough knowledge of the cars, and the questions and politics
involved in setting up the different concours classes.

Paul Reisentz makes some very good points, and we are sympathetic to
those who have spent so much time and money and efforts on their cars.

Since we are the TUXXIII Big Bear Chairs, we want to put on an event
that people will enjoy.  We harbor no illusions that we can make
everyone happy, but we want to what is right.

Two things that we are adamant about is that every participant has a
right to have their car judged if they wish and that the criteria for
the event will be set by January 1, 1998.  Also, the autocross will most
likely be run on Saturday and the concours on Sunday.

Please, we are very interested in other opinions, so let us know your
ideas.  One positive that I see from all of this is that there is not as
much apathy regarding our events and C.A.T. as I feared.

Suggestions?

Jane Sage