Header wrap

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Header wrap
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 21:22:31 -0400
At 10:24 am 7/18/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Anita & Jim Barrett wrote:
>>
>> At 07:13 am 7/17/97 PDT, you wrote:
>> >When I did my MGB I wanted to use some header wrap to keep my feet cool,
>> >there is only an inch and some sheet metel between the gas pedal and
>> >the header.  I went to the local race engine builder shop, and he said
>> >don't do it.  Say's that all the extra heat forced to keep in header
>> >       OK start the last sentence again.
>> >Say's that all that extra heat you don't allow to escape elevates the
>> >temp of the header into such a relm it will greatly reduce its life.
>> >Guess it will get all brittel and week, temper it.  He advised against
>> >it.  I would say what would you rather have to replace on a regular
>> >basis, bushings or headers?
>> >
>> >just what I've heard
>> >dan
>>
>> Dan,
>>     I plan on wrapping the headers and all the way back to the muffler.
>> My floor gets extreamly hot from the headers/exhaust pipe.  I was
>> thanking about doing this even before I determined that the heat had
>> caused A arm bushing problems.  If your local mechanic is correct
>> in the long run, about damage to the tubing, then I will report my
>> experience.  Meanwhile in Florida every afternoon at 86 degrees and
>> 95 % humidity ( heat index of 105) I could use some insulation.
>> Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others
>
>Reduced header life is one of the problems that I have heard about
>regarding header wrap.  One of my catalogs, in the process of selling
>header tapes, confirms reduced life of headers which makes sense as the
>heat will be retained within the headers and not readily dissipated.

Bill,
   I would assume that one problem would be getting the wrap wet
( when the headers are cool) and therefore the pipes stay wet for
quite a long time and more rust would occur than unwrapped
pipes.  I am not so sure that I agree with brittle headers due to
the extra heat.  Heating steel and then slowly cooling it is
called annealing.  The steel becomes soft and ductle.
I fabricated the headers my self and if they rust out, the next time I
may use SS tubing.  I am not in the business of providing headers
for any one else in case you were about to ask.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others