Wheels/lug nuts

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wheels/lug nuts
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 21:35:29 -0400
At 02:59 pm 7/18/97, you wrote:
>At 01:25 PM 7/18/97 +0000, you wrote:
>>I am in need of one 13" wheel that will fit my '66 Tiger.
>>This will allow me to have a spare!!
>>By the way, I've just had a set of Yokohama A-509s installed.
>>I can't believe the difference in this car!!!
>>
>>Tym McDowell
>>

>>From http://www.students.tut.fi/~k124476/dataBySubject/WheelBoltPatterns.html
>
>4 on 4-1/4     (4 on 108 mm)
>        Alfa Romeo (exc. Alfetta)
>        Ford - Fairmont '78-'86
>             - Mustang 4-bolt patterns '74-'93
>             - T-Bird '80-'88
>             - Pinto '71-'80
>             - Fiesta '78-'85
>             - Escort  all (RWD and FWD)
>             - Cortina all
>             - Taurus, Tempo, EXP to '89
>             - German-built Capri I, II, III '69-'8?
>        Mercury - Capri '71-'88
>             - Cougar '79-'88
>             - Merkur, Topaz, Lynx '80-'89
>             - Zephyr '78-'86
>        Plymouth Cricket
>        Porsche - 924 '77-'84
>        Sunbeam - Tiger, Alpine '65-'70
>
>       You will have to check the offset.
>
>Doug Pruitt
>Frederick, Maryland
>
>All generalisations are wrong.

    Be aware that some of these wheels listed above ( i.e mustang)
have larger bolt holes than the Tiger/Alpine.  Also the taper of the Tiger
/Alpine lug nut is sharper than the taper on the Mustang lug nut
and therefore the Tiger lug nuts don't fit the taper around the
hole on the mustang wheel very well.  Likewise, most aftermarket
lug nuts have a shallow taper that does not fit the taper in the
stock Tiger wheels.   The miss match will work, but you can
mess up the tapers around the holes.  Be sure to check lug nut
tightness  on a regular basic if you do the miss matched tapers
and hole size.  ( assuming steel wheels here)
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others