Clutch Replacement

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch Replacement
From: jhankins@ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 17:33:37 -0500 (CDT)
The deed is done! Everything is back together and working fine. I only have
15 or twenty unidentified parts left over, so I consider the effort a
success!

I replaced the flywheel, clutch, clutch master and slave cylinders, and the
appropriate bearings and seals. I did it without removing the engine, but I'm
not sure that it was any easier that way. It sure was a struggle getting
everything back in to place and lined up!

The only way I could figure out to do it was to:

1. Remove the drive shaft.

2. disconnect the transmission from the bell housing and slide it back into
the tunnel.

3. Disconnect the bell housing. (Required drilling two holes in the tunnel.
I'll provide the exact measurements to anyone who wants them.)

4. Drop the front of the transmission and the back of the bell housing down
until the transmission input shaft clears the back of the bell housing,
allowing the bell housing to be removed. The transmission then can be slid
down, forward, and out. (It's heavy!!!!).

5. It goes back in the same way, but it ain't as easy as it sounds. While I
could manhandle the transmission out, there's no way to manhandle it back in.
I used a transmission jack (on wheels) and strapped the transmission to it
with ratchet straps. It took several hours and several tries for two of us to
get everything lined up right (clutch lever, throw-owt bearing, splines,
pilot bearing, etc.), but it finally slipped together like a watch!

Obviously, I've left out a lot of details, such as removing the shifter and
linkage, the cross member, the speedo cable etc. I should also point out that
it took two of us approximately 20 hours to get everything done. But I'm here
to testify thatit is possible!

For those who are interested, I got the clutch, flywheel, etc. from
Centerforce. Here are the parts numbers and retail prices:

Flywheel/ring gear      700220      $293.95
Clutch (Centerforce I)  CF360030    $161.95
Pressure Plate          280490      $102.95
T.O. Bearing            N-1439      $44.95

you should be able to beat these prices without a great deal of trouble!

I'm very pleased with the centerforce clutch. It requires substantially less
pedal effort, but is quite solid and very smooth.

Joe