Clutch Replacement

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch Replacement
From: LannieH@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 00:40:01 -0400 (EDT)
Hello:

While I was at the last TU in Eureka I began experiencing intermintent clutch
proplems.  In 1st gear or in reverse I would hear one of those ugly metal
noises all car people hate to hear.  The general consences from most of the
tiger gurus there was that it was a throw-out bearing.  That was something I
din not want to hear as it entaled dropping the enging, which I did not want
to do. I had just gotten the car back together a couple of years ago & I
didn't want to take it apart again.  Gary Haslip was standing there & he said
it could be done without taking out the engine.  Well that sounded like music
to my ears & wanted to hear more.  He gave a brief sketch on how it was done
& said if I lived near his area we coul do it on a weekend.  I live in Reno,
NV & he lives in Eugene, OR, about 450 miles apart, but for that kind of
offer I told him I would take him up on it.  We talked a couple of times on
the phone & worked out a time when we could get together.

This last Friday I drove up there & we got started on the car about 6:00 pm.
 Since there were a lot of interruptions I cant't say for sure how long it
actually took, but I would guess about 4 hours.  Initially we took everything
off of the transmission, driveshaft, shifter, linkage.  We then unhooked
everything from the bellhousing, starter, clutch cylinder, dust cover & took
out the bellhousing bolts (5-bolt).  We then pushed the transmission as far
back as we could, turned the bellhousing as far as it could be turned & let
the front of the transmission & the back of the bellhousing drop down & we
were able to get the transmission out, took of the bellhousing & got to the
clutch.  We reversed the process for installation.  Don't do this at home,
Gary owns an AAMCO transmission shop & he had all the equipment.  You need to
be able to stand up under the car, transmission jacks & air wrenches with
long extensions & universal joints to get to those top bellhousing bolts.
 Many thanks to Gary as I would never have been able to do this myself.

Lannie Hunton
1965 Tiger

This last Friday