RE: GIRLING BRAKE FLUID

To: CMeinel464@aol.com, "'brockctella@juno.com'" <brockctella@juno.com>
Subject: RE: GIRLING BRAKE FLUID
From: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 02:56:02 -0700
        Are ye new to the old British Car world? (See second paragraph
before flame!)  Girling brake and clutch systems required ONLY the
Castrol GT-LMA brake fluids.  If you change ALL of the seals, piston
cups, and hoses (hoses should be included as the rubber will absorb a
bit of the fuild), and completely clean the internals of the the system
with Brake clean, lacquer thinner, or equivalent, then, and ONLY then
can you use a different fluid.
        This is MY understanding of this issue.  Having owned a 65
Alpine, 56 Imp, and supported my dads 64 Jag E-Type, and 76 XJ-6, all of
these cars have used ONLY the GT-LMA fluid.  Back in the late seventies
when this stuff was hard to find for a while, we would buy 4 or 5 cans
at a time, when we would see it.  Any other fluid would instantly begin
to break down the seals, leading to a presure failure, just when you
don't want one.
        If there is a new fluid that can be mixed with GT-LMA, I'm not
aware of it, and the note below only mentions Lucas's new fluid with
5.1.  Rather than Gamble, I will stick with the original even though it
absorbs water like a sponge in the desert.

Like I said, this is MY understanding of the brake fluid issue.  I could
be wrong on the new stuff.

Rich