Re: Aluminum water pump

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Aluminum water pump
From: Wally Menke <wallym@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 20:50:18 +1000 (EST)
At 08:42 AM 16/07/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I had to remove the thermostat housing from my '64 260 the other night
>because of a small leak and while I was at it I decided to pull the water
>pump to touch up a small area of paint that had "chipped" off. By the time
>that the pump was out, over half of the paint (everywhere but the shaft
>stem) had literally flaked off. The exposed aluminum was badly oxidized and
>the hose fittings were deeply corroded.

>Steve
>B9470250

Dear Steve and others

I've seen this problem on other cars, where the alloy corrodes from the
outside, underneath the radiator hoses. What happens is that water
(condensation, weeps?) gets under the hose together with concentrations of
salt etc. and just rots the aluminium out.

The solution! When fitting radiator hoses to your pump lay a thin skin if
silicone (silastic) around where the hoses go, then slide the hose over it.
This will insulate and protect the alloy.

Message for Kirk of N.Z.

Australia has 18 million people not 13!

LHD vs RHD numbers, Where do the Chinese drive? (besides any side they can!).
I guess after being in Hong Knog on the left side?. If so it's only a matter
of time before the RHD will be in majority.

Wally
B9471793