Re: Replacement engines

To: BMcgu22954@aol.com
Subject: Re: Replacement engines
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 20:53:45 +0100
BMcgu22954@aol.com wrote:

> When I went through the bi-annual sales pitch to get my Tiger smogged two
> years ago, a fellow from the referee hot line told me that foreign cars 1967
> & earlier could have any engine you wanted.
> A Ford 302 would be a good choice.
>
> Bruce McGuire

Don't you believe this singular instance is universally true for a
single minute. The law reads any changes to engine or car must conform
to the latest regulations applying to the newest of the two. The only
exceptions are 1965 and earlier vehicles, or vehicles that were
otherwise not required to have smog equipment (such as out-of-state cars
not conforming to the then current California laws, like my
non-California '66 Mustang did not have EGR pump, as California cars
must have had, so wasn't required to have them). You can get a Referee
to judge any situation, and I have had amazingly good luck on some
special equipment I built. But I would not extrapolate an individual
Referee decision to anybody else's case.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >