Re: Replacement engines

To: BMcgu22954@aol.com
Subject: Re: Replacement engines
From: gary_winblad@juno.com (Gary A Winblad)
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 21:06:05 -0700
On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 22:28:11 -0400 (EDT) BMcgu22954@aol.com writes:
>Haven't thought about that one, cause they go by vin #
>You can make any small block Ford look like a 260. You have to put on
>different timing chain cover to get away from the serpentine belt. The
>front
>dampner might be a givaway, though.
>I have never seen a smog guy with one of those glass tubes like at the
>NASCAR
>races. A tech official comes around to "pump your motor" to check
>displacement.
>The smog guys always ask what displacement.
>I've told them 260, or 289. No difference.

I have a '66 Alpine (sort of Alger) with a '85 5.0L/T-5 in it.  It had to
be
smogged when I bought it so I took it to a few gas station/smog places.
Every guy took one look at it and ran back inside and brought me the
smog brochure on what to do when your car doesn't pass (ie: take
it to the state referee station).  I can see why, it is obviously a new
motor by the serpintine belt new intake/valve covers, etc. and has
no smog equipment except the PCV but does have a Holley 1850
(which I am pretty sure Holley even says won't pass smog) and
headers.  Somewhat nervously I took it to the referee.  The only
prep work was to put a few 260 Tiger badges on it and bring the
Tiger shop manual and the book "Making the Tiger".   Well,
after a few minutes of the guy shaking his head and telling me
he'd seen Cobras and all kinds of other cars but never a Tiger I
asked him if I was going to have to find an old motor or what.?
he responded " No, Ford's are just like Chevies, the blocks all
look alike".   So he put it on the machine and it barely passed,
I found out later the Holley power valve was blown, but it passed.
So now he tells me "well, they didn't make 302's back then, maybe
I should put down 289?"  Thinking he was trying to trick me, I just
told him I thought it was a 260 like it said on the side.  He went
away and a few minutes later came back with the BAR sticker
for the door jamb that says 289/carb/PCV.  Now any smog place
can smog it (like those places told me in the beginning).
All in all, I don't think any kind of 302 is going to be a problem,
unless its too radical to pass the loose tailpipe check.
AND WHATEVER YOU DO, IT MUST HAVE --> a PCV!
Now Jeff, its commonly known that you can't put a newer
engine in an earlier chassis, that's rule ONE.  But they all look
alike, that's all they care.  Now I may have cheated a little cuz
its really an Alpine (orginal serial number is still on it) but I
have seen all kinds of new kit Cobras and their BAR sticker says
manufacture date 1964 so that doesn't seem to be a problem
either.  If it looks like an old car, it must be an old car.  If you
can make a replica Cobra, why not a replica Tiger?
Maybe it is because its a '67 or earlier foreign car, like someone
suggested.  By '67 the Tiger only had a PCV but Mustangs had
air pumps, smog carbs, etc.  BTW, California used to have the
number of cylinders on the title, but NOT anymore.
I'm pretty sure my new Tiger is going to get a Motorsport 302,
but its a '65 so I don't have to smog it  :-)
Just don't quote me.. this message will self destruct in 5 seconds.
PFHHHSST.
Gary
San Jose