Re: cooling hot tigers

To: "Tigers" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: cooling hot tigers
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 97 12:39:45 -0600

Something's a bit off in this explanation.

The guy's pump is running slower, so he gets higher temperatures.  Makes sense
so far.  But drilling holes in the thermostat cures the problem, by allowing
some flow when it's closed?  Wrong explanation.  If he's too hot, the thing
should be wide open, and the additional holes serve to decrease the restriction
at the thermostat, increasing the flow.  Without knowing how many holes, and how
big the stock opening is, it's hard to say how much of a difference it makes,
but it must make some.  And the car will take longer to warm up.

Remember the discussions of a few weeks back.  This result adds to the evidence
against those folks who want to slow the flow to improve the cooling.

Stu