Re: Center hub knockoffs and tires that fit

To: "Jorquera, Mario" <Mario.Jorquera@fhwa.dot.gov>
Subject: Re: Center hub knockoffs and tires that fit
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 08:07:13 +0100
Jorquera, Mario wrote:

> I also have 175-70X13 Dunlops in front, and they touch
> the bottom edge of the front quarter panel, below the
> headlight, but only at large steering angles and only in
> reverse!  This goes to show what strange things the
> Tiger's unique front suspension will do under load!  In
> the rear, I have plain 175X13s, and these touch the
> outside lip of the fender, but only when I go over large
> bumps or "whop-de-do's."  With only these minor
> annoyances, these seem to be the largest tires that will
> fit without significant fenderwell modifications.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Mario
> B 9471239

Mario,

With a VIN so close to mine (1050 different), I felt I should help.
I have Michelin X 185x70x13's. A bit larger than your size. These were
installed by the PO on American Racing 8 spoke original dealer option.
They have screw-on thread knock-offs, with the '60's style octagonal
shape. The knock-off shape was ruled illegal after a policeman was
"knicked" by an ear of a passing wire wheel. I really don't believe this
story, as anyone that close to the car could be torn apart by a myriad
of other bit's and pieces, including fender mirrors. Which, by the way,
were required to be spring-loaded in the early '60's as well. I was able
to find a source for new screw-on knock-offs with two curved ears, three
straight ears, and three curved ears. I bought a set of the later,
because that was the original shape before the ears were laid in towards
the spokes. The Alpine wheels used this 3 spoke in-leaning design in the
later 60's.

Regarding fit, scrub, and "whoop-de-do's", the PO had neatly taken care
of 3/4 of the problem. In the front, he had the forward bottom edge of
the fender curled inward so the "point" of the wheel arch and lower
fender edge moved inward and forward. This prevented tire scrub. On the
rear, he had removed the excess lip of the fender/inner wheel well seam.
The fender lip is welded to the inner panel, and the horizontal
protusion of the fender lip was scrubbing the sidewall of the tire on a
two-passenger road dip on the freeway. Kept blaming my wife, cause it
only happened when she was with me ({8->). My Queen said "We are NOT
amused". In looking it over, only the right hand side scrubbed. I
measured the clearances and thought the axle wasn't centered, because
the clearances were different. Turns out the PO had trimmed the left
side only. Steve Alcala trimmed back the right side excess fender lip,
with a die grinder, till the fender lip matched the wheel-well lip. This
cured the problems. So, even with my 1/2 inch negative offset wheels and
185x70x13 tires it holds. Good size for highway use, as it gives more
mph/1000 rpm. Still small enough to get rubber in third.

Hope this helps. My thanks to Steve Alcala for his good work.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >