Re: 351W Head Interchangeability and extra water passage holes

To: BMcgu22954@aol.com, Spook37211@aol.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 351W Head Interchangeability and extra water passage holes
From: "Spontelli, Ramon" <rs11@ElSegundoCA.NCR.COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 07:12:00 -0700
>  The special pistons are hard, if not impossible to come by, as I
don't think
>  they are made any more. (I could be wrong though) Could be custom
machined,
>  maybe check Hemmings.
>  Ramon, ask Dan Walters. He's done that.

When we bought the Mk II, it had 351W heads on a Hi-Po 289 block.  The
pistons were off-the-shelf forged TRW "pop-ups" rated at 12:1 (for the
289 heads).  Seems to me like they should still be very available.

>  Special Pistons, to get proper compression.
>  Special head bolts. (1/2" section, 7/16 thread)
>  351 intake manifold gaskets.
>
>  I think that's the shopping list.

You still need a 260/289/302 intake manifold gasket set for the little
front/rear pieces--the ones in the 351 gasket set will be too long.

Ramon