Rubbing tires

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rubbing tires
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 97 07:52:37 -0600
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     I said last week that I had no tire rubbing problems with 175/80-13's
     on stock wheels,, but I may be wrong.  Saturday I was poking around
     with a straight edge, trying to visualize what 1 inch wider wheels
     would do to the clearances.  The rears look fine.  I was checking the
     fronts when I noticed a scuff mark on the outer sidewall, about half
     way down, right where the tire is fattest.  Parking too close to my
     ramps, or maybe a curb, I thought.  But then I noticed that there was
     an identical scuff mark on the other side.  Neither of the marks goes
     all the way around, and both appear to be from the tire rubbing
     against something fixed, such as the inner fender lip (unmodified).
     Trying to visualize how the suspension moves, I could see where they
     could get close.

     If my 175's (diameter 24-3/4 ")are rubbing on stock wheels, there's
     not much hope of these working on wider ones.  175-70/13's probably
     have about an inch less radius, so the fattest portion is probably the
     better part of an inch closer to the hub, but on 1" wider wheels it
     might be 3/4" further out.  Am I making sense here?

     Any comments or opinions?

     Stu