Re: A Can of 86 Green, Please!

To: laifman@flash.net, ritchie@mcn.org
Subject: Re: A Can of 86 Green, Please!
From: Spook37211@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 21:43:04 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-11 20:10:31 EDT, laifman@flash.net (Steve Laifman)
writes:

<<
 I did do that, and Tower did look up those codes, and the footnotes on
 those codes. Their books show that these numbers are a close match using
 their standard pigments. They are not a match, just a close second. If
 you're repainting the entire car, then close may be good enough, and
 depending upon your taste maybe better. But, not the "same". The Rootes
 codes the used in enamel are the correct color. Although I must confess
 that after 32 odd years, the paint might not be just like it came from
 the factory.

I can second that!!!!  Some of the 'close' paints aren't!  I've repainted my
car 4 times over the years, and I've yet to get the same color twice from the
'book' match.

The last time, I had the Ditler guys match it to some undisturbed (heavily
asleep and snoring) paint under the kick panels.  That worked ('course I've
since lost the damn mix numbers.....).
Regards, Ray