Re: TACky response.

To: DrMayf@aol.com
Subject: Re: TACky response.
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 22:41:21 -0800 (PST)
At 07:47 AM 10/29/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Ownership of the Tiger "data base" on what makes a Tiger is, for sure, owned
>by those who developed it. As I see it, that is not the concern of a lot of
>us. My particular concern for example can be demonstrated by me and my Tiger.
>I bought it in 1967 from the original owner. Never been out of my sight. But,
>and it is a big but, unless I can prove it is a Tiger by the TAC ckeckpoints,
>then it may not be a Tiger! They hold me hostage to esentially making it
>mandatory to play by their data base rules in order to gain the TAC
>validation sticker. That is simply wrong. They are putting their hands into
>my pocket book. To mitigate this, the rules should be made available to all,
>i.e. published, to both owners and non-owners. We can honor the database
>development by a special award...or what ever. To keep it secret is to be
>elitist and very arrogant. What if we, the other owners put a different
>database into play and invalidated the TAC information. Would those who paid
>money to have their cars TAC'd be pissed? I would! If the Tiger owners wish,
>send me your data and I will compile it into a checklist that we can
>broadcast over the planet.

After a couple of days of contemplation, I decided to respond to this
posting.  I fail to understand the basic logic.  I can certainly understand
how another group might organize a parallel data base based on their own
assumptions and concepts, but how on earth would it INVALIDATE the work
STOA has put into the TAC program.  Assuming both groups consider that
Tigers that were assembled on the Jensen Assembly Line were defined as the
only "real" Tigers, where and how would they invalidate each other.  I can
see different reference data, but I can't see a possible "invalidation"
conflict other than potential recording errors on the individual lists.

Every business company typically has data which they hold as confidential.
I can't remember ever hearing the terms Elitist or Arrogant being applied
to this circumstance.  Just because STOA is a non-profit business, does
this somehow change the perspective.

STOA is in competition  with other Sunbeam clubs for a limited number of
members, nationally and internationally.  This is our program and one of
our products to attract membership.  It's unfortunate that  our program
somehow makes you feel at risk, as this is clearly not our intent.  If you
seriously know the history of your Tiger, you have nothing to fear.

Tom Hall