Re: SS Rust Repair

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net, Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: SS Rust Repair
From: Bill Gullatt <mrbillg@real-comps.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 18:04:58 -0600
Anita,

My suggestion is DON'T! You will have more problems in the end.
Stainless is very difficult to get body filler to adhear to and is just
alot more trouble than it is worth. I would suggest backing up to square
one. Go to a junk yard and cut the roof sheet metal out of and older
American car. Use an .023 gauge steel wire and an Argon/CO2 mixed gas.
Make your patches first then remove them and make sure they are cleaned
and primed with a good etching primer on both sides. Grind the edges
slightly (1/4") then prime the edges with 3M's weld through primer. It
comes in a spray can and can be purchased from any automotive
refinishing distibutor. After your repair is made you may even want to
coat with 3M rust preventer. It too comes in a spray can an is a nasty
yellow coating similar to what Volvo uses from the factory. I have tried
everything in 15 years of Autobody Repair and Restoration and this seems
to be the best combination.

Bill Gullatt
mrbillg@real-comps.com