SS Rust Repair

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SS Rust Repair
From: Wally Menke <wallym@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 22:11:50 +1100 (EST)
>Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 17:44:46 -0500
>To: tigers@autox.team.net
>From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
>Subject: SS Rust Repair
>Sender: owner-tigers@autox.team.net
>
>Tigers,
>        I am about to start the replacement of most of the lower 1/4 of the
>Tiger sheet metal along both sides.  I have done this before on other
>cars using 24 gauge steel sheet metal and also using galvinezed sheet
>metal.  This time I aquired a 4"X 10" 24 gauge Stainless Steel # 304 sheet.
>I do have a MIG with SS wire and argon.  Any words of wisdom from
>the list?
>Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others

Dear Jim

If you live in a corrosive environment (near the sea) what you will set-up
is a galvanic cell, where the metal that is more suseptable to corrosion,
corrodes at a faster rate. In your case this will be the rest of the mild
steel body. This may not be at a high enough rate to worry about.

The other hassle is that the St/St will be more difficult to form and work
with, and will distort more with welding.

May be better to stick to mild steel and rust proof extensively with Tectel ?
which is made I think by Valvoline.

Maybe you should buy a Deloren!! for that ALL OVER silver look. If you got a
scratch you can just give it a steel wool buff.

Regards
Wally Menke