The Brake Saga Continues & Reverse Light Question

To: alpines@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: The Brake Saga Continues & Reverse Light Question
From: Steve Semeraro <semeraro@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 21:56:10 -0500
Thanks again for everyone who helped with my leaking brake fluid
problem.  It was the master cylinder.  The calipers and master cylinder
have now been rebuilt and new rotors installed.  The master cyl. appears
to be from an early series Alpine, at least that's the rebuild kit that
worked.  The leaking has stopped, but I'm not happy with the results.
The pedal seems to grab much closer to the floor than it used to and the
car just doesn't seem to stop as well.  I asked the shop if anything
could be done.  They re-bled the system and adjusted the rear brakes,
but it's not much better.  I never used a brake booster and was happy
with the brakes before.  Not now.  Any ideas?

Coincidently, I came across an almost new brake booster.  The girling
replacement model. I think I've found a bracket as well.  Can anyone
provide installation tips.  Right now, the line from the master cyl.
hooks up to a junction in the vicinity of where the booster should be.
The connector has lines running to each front wheel and to the back as
well as the brake light connections.  Is the booster tied into this
junction somehow?  Does it replace it?  Or do I need some other sort of
connector?

I've also found a set of the WIPAC dealer option (I think) reverse
lights.  I saw in a recent post that all Alpines were wired for reverse
lights and sure enough I found some leads not connected to anything in
the rear of the trunk.  Can't imagine what else they'd be for.  Should
the switch be wired in as well?  If not, how would I go about setting up
a reverse light switch?  Thanks in advance.

Steve Semeraro
Series V Alpine
1968 Marcos GT