Tonneau Cover Help Needed If You Can...

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tonneau Cover Help Needed If You Can...
From: CobMeister <CobMeister@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 12:27:02 EST
Hey Gang,

Last month, concurrent with my purchase of a '65 Tiger I purchased a tonneau
cover from Sunbeam Specialties.  When I got it out yesterday to install it I
found that there were no instructions at all, whatsoever, no siree bob.  Well,
Sir, being the typical 'puterhead who cannot pour the proverbial nasty liquid
out of his shiny Tony Lamas' without the instructions provided on the roper
heel (How does that stuff keep getting in there, anyway?  Just a couple of
tablespoons, but where does it come from?), I am nearly dead in the water.

I decided that the manufacturer (Robbins Auto Top Co, Inc.) and Sunbeam
Specialties feel that this operation is so basic that any Tigerist would be
insulted by instructions so I laid the tonneau out and decided that the way to
do this is by starting at the center front, then going to the center rear,
then the sides....

But I am still puzzled by the Lift-a-Dot fasteners.  There must be a special
tool for installing them, but is there something likely to be found around the
house that would do the job well enough to get all the little holes lined up
accurately?  Or, where can one buy a special purpose tool?

The really scary thing is that I have a brand new top in an unopened box from
the same source...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  (Well, maybe not "any suggestions."
But at least those that are either helpful or amusing.)

--Colin Cobb, Countin' Lift-a-Dots Outside Las Cruces, NM, USA
Tiger B9471815