I Don't Get It

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: I Don't Get It
From: earndt@telequest.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 9:32:30 -0600
After all the bantering around I've seen on the list (and after having to =20=
=20
put my chair out with a fire extinguisher from the flames) I'm going to  =20
retract my earlier request for information to keep the peace, but first I =20=
=20
want to thank those of you who did take the time to help out.  Here's  =20
what I've concluded thus far:

 - The Book of Norman is THE place to start.
 - Join STOA; the newsletter and membership are other good resources.
 - There are a few things that people would share regarding possible items=20=
 =20
to check.  I have filed those away for reference.
 - In my opinion, TAC inspections are fine but I have no way to  =20
objectively gauge the validity of the certification. TACed cars seem to  =20
be geographically limited to the California area.  Why has the program  =20
not been expanded nationally?  Is it the same issue with a few folks  =20
withholding information and not wanting to share or are owners in the  =20
rest of the nation not buying into the program for some reason?
 - The impression I am getting is that the TAC criteria are being kept  =20
"secret" in an effort to foil "Tiger counterfeits".  A noble cause, and  =20
it may help for a very short time, but the same lack of information is  =20
*severely* hampering those who really do want to do a first class job on  =20
restoring their cars.  Attention to detail is one element of a truly  =20
great restoration - unless the details are not available.

I'm not willing to enter the fray about TAC inspections; the above are  =20
only observations.  I've dealt with many cars and many clubs over the  =20
years (Mustang, Shelby, big Fords, Corvette) and the same issues always  =20
arise of how do you prevent fake cars (cars built with the intent to  =20
defraud) from being passed off as originals.  The hard truth is that you  =20
don't.  The best prevention is education of the honest folks.  That makes =20=
=20
it much harder (and much more expensive) for someone to fake a Tiger (or  =20
other classic) and successfully pass it of as an original.  If a person  =20
has "X" amount of money, would they rather pay "X" amount for a real  =20
Tiger or "X" amount building a fraudulent car to pass off as an original?
  =20

For What It's Worth,
               Erich Arndt