Re: Maxwell Smart's car

To: Colin Mills <colin_mills@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Maxwell Smart's car
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 09:47:29 -0500
Colin Mills wrote:(snip)

 some trivia questions from the 60s.  One question reads "What
> model car did Maxwell Smart drive?".  The answer is "Sumbeam".  Since
> this is from what I assume is a US TV programme, is anyone over there.....

Chrysler sponsored the first few years of "Get Smart", so their cars
were all over the show. Don Adams drove a Tiger in the opening credits
and on the show. A specialy rigged Alpine, with a hood(bonnet) pop up
machine gun, was used for the required gadget filed spy car stuff.
Buick picked up the tab after Chrysler, so an Opel GT was subtitited.
Finally VW was an advertiser, so a Karmen Ghia was used. Talk about
sliding down a slope of decreasing horsepower! Who are you going to
catch chasing someone in a Karmen Ghia? Better hope the bad guys take
the bus in that chase scene!