Re: Survey Results

To: nicholsj@oakwood.org
Subject: Re: Survey Results
From: Rande Bellman <rande@thecia.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 15:52:42 +0000
nicholsj@oakwood.org wrote:

>      Yesterday, I asked whether anyone on this list who asked for pointers
>      on what to look for when buying a Tiger  ever received an answer.
>      Here's the results:
>
>      1 Definite No
>      1 Definite Not enough info
>      0 Yes
>
>       Very disappointing results since the Web , and by association this
>      list, exist for the free exchange of information.  No one asked for
>      copyrighted secrets just the basic info to help them make a reasonably
>      certain purchase of a 'real' Sunbeam Tiger.  As far as this list is
>      concerned, don't expect much help in what to look for when buying a
>      Tiger.
>
>       Is it me or do other members of this list get the feeling that there
>      is deep seated paranoia with some people about phony Sunbeam Tigers.
>      I know there exists an undetermined number of fakes but were they
>      built to deceive or to restore. One was so good it fooled 'experts' and
>      won concourse awards from the TACophiles until discovered.  It's
>      difficult to guess the motive of the restorer/builder without knowing
>      them personally. One web page has photos of five questionable Tigers
>      but how many more exist and where are they?  Maybe I should watch a few
>      Oliver Stone movies or rent 'Conspiracy' to get in the proper state of
>      mind.....Nahhhh
>
>      Jeff
Jeff, I think the reluctance among Tiger folk to help others locate real cars
comes from several things:

1. reluctance to criticize a car or point out nonstock equipment in front of an
owner, sort of like going through an "open house" making comments while the
owner is listening.

2. The possibility that you might be wrong about something, and therefore might
misrepresent the car to the buyer, either by failing to discover an intentional
fake, or by not knowing enough and calling it a fake car or unoriginal part
when
in fact it it genuine.

3. Giving away a list of cues that point to a real Tiger, enabling someone to
build
a fake, or in other words, giving away your trade secrets to discovering real
Tigers.

I haven't followed the TAC discussion since last August(I've been off the web)
but to me the value of TAC members comes when a car is for sale, and the buyer
wants outside authentication. If you've had your car TAC'd , and you've done
the
restoration, you're getting little information that you didn't already learn as
you
were building your car, from an owners standpoint.

It's easier to think of the TAC inspectors as a microcosm of experienced Tiger
owners who are willing to stand behind their opinions of  originality.