Garage Plans

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Garage Plans
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:51:39 -0500
     Chris:

     I haven't built a garage, but I've lived with a couple, so here are
     some thoughts.

     20'x 20' is fine for parking, but not for working.   I currently have
     a 24 x 24, which is much better.  At my garageless first house, I was
     planning a 24 x 32, but we moved instead.

     Assuming you can keep kids toys out of the way, etc., you can put more
     than 2 cars in a 24 x 24.  Mine's poleless, so you have freedom to
     move things around however you want.  You could also put one sideways
     against the back wall, and still get two cars in.  One big door is
     better than two for this.

     If you are in a cold area, plan on a complete closed floor in the
     attic.  If you don't have one, any heat you try to generate will go to
     the attic, leaving you cold.  This helps with lighting,too, reflecting
     the light back down.

     Plan on someday needing to lift something heavy by hanging it from the
     ceiling, and design the structure accordingly. If you have ever done
     an engine removal from the bottom, by hanging the front end from the
     ceiling, you would know why.

     Two doors vs one?  One's great for flexibility,  Can you park 3 across
     in a 24 x 24?  Maybe, if all three are small.  But each time you open
     it, one whole side of the garage is open, allowing dust, leaves, bugs,
     and whatever else to blow in.

     Make sure all of the floor is sloped toward the door.  If you have
     drains, make sure that they are piped to a specific location outside
     the foundation.  This isn't just for rain, snow, etc.  What if a fuel
     tank decides to leak?   You don't want the gas residing under the
     floor, or in your bomb shelter.  You could have dangerous fumes for
     weeks, and if the EPA finds out, you may have to dig out all of the
     polluted dirt.  It's easier to dig up the backyard.

     That's all I can think of quickly.  Good luck with your plans.

     Stu