Re: leaky hose

To: Perry Sobol <psobol@prod-nov.production.comdial.com>
Subject: Re: leaky hose
From: Will Seay <wseay@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 19:06:46 -0500
Perry Sobol wrote:

> The hose for the remote oil filter ( from bottom of block to the oil
> filter) seems to have cracks and apears to be leaking (very little)
> just under the connector.
>
> I can find some Gates parts but it will look like a repair job.
> Any ideas fixing this ????
***********************
If the leak is in the hose itself, you may be able to salvage the metal
end pieces from the original hose and have a them put on a new hose.
You can get the end pieces out by cutting the metal casings that
surround the fittings on the ends of the hose.  I got mine off by
cutting a longitudinal slice in each with a Dremmel cut off tool and
then prying the casing off.  A hack saw would probably do the job as
well.  Most auto parts suppliers have high-pressure hose which is a
suitable for this job.  Can't give you first-hand advice on where to get
the ends put on, but I suspect that places that make custom hydraulic or
airconditioning hoses might be able to do the job.

If you can't find anyone to put your hose back together again, you can
fall back on the approach that I am planning to use for my MK I.  I plan
to clamp the hose to the end pieces with standard hose clamps.  To make
it look less like a repair job, I plan to put heavy heat-shrink tubing
over the hose clamps.
--
B382001570 - Will Seay - wseay@sprynet.com